Conduct a close read using an Integrated Reading poetry passage. Try this!
- Choose a poem from Classworks Integrated Reading activities with an appropriate lexile level for your class. Try one of these:
- Activity 2-26 L (640L) Puddle Lake
- Activity 5-8 L (710L) Birds' Words
- Activity 7-28 L (830L) City Lights
- Interactive white board with print copies for students
- Small groups using a shared tablet
- Individually using their own device
Sample Classroom Activity
- Read the poem (1st time): Focus on the structure
- Number the stanzas using the notes tool
- Highlight (yellow) all of the words you do not know
- Highlight (blue) words that appeal to touch, sight, smell, sound, or hearing
- Use context clues to determine the meaning of unknown words
- Paraphrase each stanza using the notes you created
- Complete the text-dependent questions associated with the passage
- Have each student summarize the poem in one sentence
- View students' work in the passage real-time (Watch our video for help)
- Share summary sentences as a class. Keep track of similarities and differences.
- Have students answer the short answer question
- Or, have students describe what the poem means and why
- Both responses should be supported with evidence found in the text
April is also contest time at Classworks! The All-Star contest is underway–with chances for students and teachers to win. Read about it at action.classworks.com.